Accommodation FAQs

Here are some questions we’re regularly asked. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for here, please get in touch with our friendly team of accommodation experts.

  • Am I guaranteed a room?

    If you're a first-year student joining us in September 2021, then we guarantee to provide you with accommodation, either in our halls or privately. Find out more here

    If you're a second or third-year student, then you aren't guaranteed accommodation - contact our accommodation teams for advice. 

    The demand for our halls of residence is usually higher than the number of rooms we have available. Unfortunately, this means that we can’t offer a room for everyone who applies. Our allocation policy tells you more about how we allocate rooms.

  • Who can apply for halls of residence?

    You can apply for halls if you’re a new full-time student - but our accommodation is not just for undergraduate students. If you’re taking a foundation or postgraduate course and you meet the eligibility criteria set out in our allocation policy, you can also apply.

    Please note that if UCA is your insurance choice, you won’t be able to apply for accommodation until we become your firm choice.


  • Do I have to wait until I get my results before applying?

    No. in fact, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible once you’ve firmly accepted the offer on your course.

  • I don't want to live in halls - how can I get information about private lodgings?

    Once you’ve submitted your application through our online accommodation portal, we’ll send you some information on private accommodation.

    In the meantime, find out more about looking for private accommodation.


  • When are rooms allocated?

    We normally allocate the first batch of rooms in mid-May and continue throughout the summer until all the rooms are full.

    For 2020 entry, we have extended the application deadline due to the COVID-19 pandemic – applications are still open, and we still have rooms available in Canterbury, Epsom and Rochester.

  • What happens if I am not allocated a room?

    Don’t worry – there are plenty of other options. We’ll email you to tell you how to find privately rented accommodation in the local area.

    More about private accommodation.


  • Can I look around the halls of residence?

    Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer tours of our residences at the moment due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, you can watch our accommodation videos on our virtual open day site.

  • How long will you reserve my room for?

    If your application is successful and you’re allocated a room in halls, we’ll let you know the deadline for accepting the offer. This is usually two weeks after the offer date.

    If you don’t accept by the deadline date, we’ll withdraw the offer and give the room to someone else.

  • Do you have accessible rooms?

    Each campus has a number of bedrooms which are wheelchair accessible and we’ll make reasonable adjustments to modify accommodation to suit particular needs.

    If you have a special requirement for your accommodation, please tell us as soon as possible about any practical issues which may affect your housing needs.

  • Can anyone else accept the room offer or make advanced payments on my behalf?

    The accommodation agreement can only be accepted by you. However, anyone can make the advance payment to secure your room offer.

  • How much does it cost to live in halls?
  • Do I have to pay a deposit?

    We don’t ask for a deposit, but you’ll need to make an advance payment of £300 to reserve your accommodation. This will be deducted from your first instalment of residence fees.

    After this, if you decide you no longer want the room, we’ll return your advance payment to you minus a £25 administration fee, as long as you tell us in writing no less than two weeks before the start of your accommodation agreement. If you don’t tell us by this date, we may use your advance payment to cover the rent until we can find someone else, and you may not get a refund.

  • Can anyone else pay the advance payment or residence fees on my behalf?

    Yes, as long as they know your name, UCA student ID number and how much needs to be paid. Please make sure that this information is clear on any paperwork.

  • I want to pay the residence fees out of my student loan. What if my loan is delayed?

    Payment dates for residence fees are arranged to coincide with student loan payments as far as possible. If there’s a delay in getting your loan, please contact our accommodation services team straight away to discuss a new payment date, otherwise you may be charged for late payment.

  • What is provided in the halls of residence?

    Our halls are all self-catering. In most cases, you’ll have your own study bedroom with a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and blinds or curtains. Bring your own personal possessions to make the place feel more homely.

    Each house or flat has a shared kitchen/dining area equipped with a cooker, fridge/freezer, kettle, microwave and dining furniture. Basic cleaning equipment such as a vacuum cleaner is also provided.

    You’ll need to bring your own pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen utensils, tea towels, towels, sheets, pillows, and a duvet (and cover) or blankets.

    We are working in partnership with an organization called UniKitOut, we can now provide a range of items including bedding and kitchen utensils to be delivered to your room prior to your arrival. Available in ready-made packs and individual items to suit all budgets, you can rest in the knowledge that our combination pack will provide all the essentials to help you settle in to your new student accommodation.

    Why cram your suitcase or spend hours searching the aisles when you can have all your student needs quite literally at your finger tips? Please view the UniKitOut website for all the details.


  • When can I move in?

    We’ll tell you everything you need to know about moving in once you’ve accepted your room offer. If you’re moving in after the start of term, you must pay all the current term's residence fees before moving in.

  • Can I stay during the holidays?

    Yes. The period of residence is continuous, so you can stay during the Christmas and Easter breaks. The MA and MBA periods of residence also include the summer break.

  • Is there internet access?

    Wired internet is available in each bedroom and there’s wireless internet in the shared areas. This service is provided by external company StudentCom, and is included in your residence fees.

  • Who cleans the halls of residence?

    All internal communal areas are cleaned once a week. You’re responsible for cleaning your own room and en suite bathroom (if you have one). Basic cleaning equipment (such as a mop and bucket) is provided in each house or flat.

    There are new protocols in place taking into account COVID-19. Please see our dedicated page to find out more.

  • Should I arrange my own insurance?

    We provide basic contents insurance for all residents living in our halls of residence. We’ll give you the details of the policy during your online induction. You can pay more for enhanced cover online at any time.

  • Can I bring a TV?

    Yes, but please check to make sure that there’s a suitable aerial point. If there isn't, you’ll need to bring an internal aerial.

    You must also have a TV licence for every TV that you use. So if you have one in your room, you must have a licence for that, and if you club together for a communal TV, this would also need a licence.


  • Can I bring a pet?

    No - we don’t allow any pets.

  • Is there parking at the halls of residence?

    There is limited parking at Doust Way in Rochester. You can’t park at any other campus unless you have a disabled badge.

  • Can I live in halls of residence in my second or third year?

    Unfortunately, this isn’t possible in most cases.

  • How can I be sure that the accommodation is of good standard?

    We have registered all our owned and leased accommodation with the Universities UK Code of Practice. The code protects your right to safe, good quality accommodation. It outlines everything you can expect from your accommodation as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.

    You can view a copy of the code in our accommodation office or on the student accommodation code website.

Get in touch

For more information, please get in touch with our friendly accommodation teams.

UCA Canterbury

Phone: +44 (0)1227 817380


UCA Epsom

Phone: +44 (0)1372 202448


UCA Farnham

Phone: +44 (0)1252 892974


UCA Rochester

Phone: +44 (0)1634 888723