Senior Lecturer BA Illustration and Animation; Pathway Leader in Lens Based Media in Further Education
John Dargan began working at UCA in 1998, whilst running his own practice and working in Graphic Design bureaus. Since 2006 he has worked as Pathway Leader for Lens-Based Media in Further Education at Canterbury and is now also working on the BA Illustration & Animation course.
John graduated from Canterbury School of Art (now UCA) in 1986 with a BA (Hons) Fine Art and went on to complete a Masters in Fine Art at Chelsea School of Art in 1988. In 2013 he obtained a postgraduate certificate in Education at UCA.
John’s research is concerned with landscape and space; interrogating ideas of ownership, history and use of space. He records with drawing and photography and uses those processes to problematise responses to different narratives and situations he identifies. This allows him to work with a variety of media, producing short films, animation, multiple projection installations, artists books, as well as mixed media images.
Recent outputs and events include responses to museum collections in Dover and Faversham, artist in residence in a working boatyard and an interactive installation.
Professional Membership, Affiliation and Consultancy
- Member of the Institute for Learning
- Board Member of Limbo Arts in Margate.
- 2016 Localism and Legacy: Fleur De Lis Museum Faversham. Commission to work with the WW1 archive held at the Museum
- 2016 RSC Bar Stories. Illustrations for cabinets in the Bar at the RSC Stratford-on-Avon
- 2015-2016 Dmag Joined Up, Dover Arts Development, commissioned to work with Dover Western Heights Preservation Society and Queens Museum and Princess of Wales Royal Regiment Museum
- 2014 Ideas Test: Sham Fever. Interactive Installation in Faversham Guildhall, Kent. Arts Council Funded
- 2012 Room Artist in Residence
- 2011 Fludde Festival. Week long arts Festival in Faversham, Kent. Funded by the Arts Council and Kent County Council.