What is switching?

Switching is when you’ve started a degree course at another university, and you’ve decided that you would like to transfer to a course at UCA instead. Depending on the course you’ve been on and which one you want to switch to, you can usually transfer in Year 1 or Year 2, and sometimes in Year 3.

Why would I want to switch?

Sometimes the course or the university that you’ve chosen to study at doesn’t quite meet your expectations, or you find you’re not settling in as well as you’d like.

It’s totally understandable that you might have these feelings once you’ve started uni, and it’s important to know that you can still switch to the course that you want to study, at the university that is right for you.

If you’ve decided that you want to study a totally different subject – for example, switching from maths to fine art – then you would most likely need to reapply for Year 1, as any modules or units that you would have already done are unlikely to be relevant for you to start at a later stage.

How do I switch to UCA?

  • Transferring in Year 1

    If you decide to transfer to UCA sometime during your first year at another university, the best thing to do is to give our Admissions Team a ring on 01252 892 960 to see if you’ll be able to transfer to a course here mid-year. This can sometimes depend on the units of the course you’re transferring to.

  • Transferring in Year 2

    If you’ve applied to UCA before but didn’t choose us as your firm offer, we may still have your application in the system and might be able to reinstate it, so that you don’t have to apply through UCAS all over again. If you did apply to us in the past, call our Admissions Team on 01252 892 960 and they’ll be able to look for your application.

    If you’ve never applied to UCA before, you can apply to us through UCAS and select the year of entry that you’d like to start in, in this case Year 2.

  • Transferring in Year 3

    It’s not always possible to transfer into Year 3 – many courses start preparations for the final year projects and dissertations in Year 2, while Year 3 often has more independent study time using what has been taught in the previous years. It’s best in this case to get in touch with us and we can discuss the options available for you, call our Admissions Team on 01252 892 960

Entry requirements

Below are the entry criteria for transferring to a UCA course:

  • You should meet the standard first year entry requirements (level 3 and GCSEs)
  • You should have studied similar modules in the first/second year of a similar course and will need have 120/240 credits to join Year 2/3
  • You will need to provide evidence of the modules you’ve studied and the grades/credits you’ve achieved. We’ll ask you to provide a transcript from your current university which should be on original letter-headed paper and stamped or signed by the registry of your previous university.

We can make conditional offers, so if you haven’t completed your year of study, you can apply prior to receiving your results by sending details of the modules you’re studying. 

Any questions?

If you would like to talk to us to find out more information about our courses and to discuss a possible switch, please contact our Admissions team:

Phone: +44 (0) 1252 892 960
Email: admissions@uca.ac.uk