Research Ethics at UCA
The University for the Creative Arts is committed to supporting good practice in research and scholarly activity. Conducting research in accordance with ethical principles is considered to be of fundamental importance.
We provide expert advice for students and staff, for more information go to myUCA Research Ethics Page
Do I require Ethical Approval?
Find out if your project requires UCA ethical approval
Applying for Ethical Approval
There are two application procedures available to staff and students who are dependent on potential risks to participants.
To establish the likely risk level of your research project, please follow the relevant guidance at MyUCA Research Ethics
Training and Guidance
Guidance on best practice in research and research ethics follow this link
How does GDPR affect Research ethics
GDPR demands that data processing is lawful, fair and transparent. Organisations that process personal data, or control its processing, are accountable for this, yet we all have a role to play.
Guidance on how to ensure that your project is GDPR compliant
Ethical Approval Calendar
Research undertaken by UCA staff and students will sometimes require ethical review through the Research Committee
The committee establishes, monitors and reviews the procedures for the examination of proposals for research which involves human participants and materials derived from human participants.
External research ethics resources
Research Councils' websites
Guidance on good practice on ethics from UK Research Councils.
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC): Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC): Good Practice in Science and Engineering Research
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC): Framework for Research Ethics
- Medical Research Council: Good Research Practice: Principles and Guidelines
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC): Ethics Policy
- Research Councils UK (RCUK): Policy and Guidelines on Governance of Good Research Conduct
Public or professional bodies' websites
Ethics resources, including codes of conduct from public or professional bodies.
- British Educational Research Association (BERA): Ethical Guidelines for Educational Research
- British Psychological Society: Code of Ethics and Conduct
- British Sociological Association: Statement of Ethical Practice
- European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity
- General Pharmaceutical Council: Standards of Conduct, Ethics and Performance
- Health Professions Council: Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics
- Home Office guidance on research and testing using animals
- Royal Academy of Engineering: Engineering Ethics
- Singapore Statement on Research Integrity
- Understanding Animal Research: Concordat on Openness on Animal Research
- UK Data Archive: Ethical Resources
- UK Research Integrity Office (UKRIO): Code of Practice for Research
- Universities UK and Cancer Research UK: Joint Protocol on Tobacco Funding
- Universities UK: Concordat on Research Integrity