Dr Sophie Beard
Dr Sophie Beard is a designer, researcher and educator. Currently a Senior Lecturer in Graphic Design at UCA Epsom.
Sophie graduated with a BA (Hons) Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins in 1998 and a MA in Communication Art & Design from the Royal College of Art in 2002. In 2010 Sophie completed her UAL funded practice based PhD, entitled Collecting Collects: The Family Photograph in the British Newspaper at LCC (UAL).
Sophie has published and exhibited internationally and has extensive experience of working in higher education in both studio and theory delivery at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, most recently at Kingston University and Chelsea College of Arts.
Beard's research lies within the field of Visual Communication. She is particularly interested in Vernacular Photography and its Practices, Material Culture, and the methodological approach of The Archive and Act of Collecting. Rapidly changing technology has produced new contexts, forms and practices, both in relation to the production and consumption of photographic images. Sophie is currently working on establishing the Nijhof & Lee Archive held at UCA Epsom as one of the specialist collection of European Graphic Design in the UK.
The Familiar. Temporality. Reappropriation. Anonymity. Authenticity.
Research Outputs and Activities
- Beard, Sophie (2018) Collecting collects In: Photography & Society Research Colloquium, German Documentation Centre for Art History, Philipps - Universität Marburg, Germany. (Unpublished) Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie (2011) Minutes after this photo was taken: the temporality of the family photograph in the newspaper. In: Contemporary Vernacular Photographies Symposium, 3 September 2011, The Photographers Gallery & University of Westminster. (Unpublished) Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie and Francke, Andrea and Ikoniadou, Mary (2011) Dialogues from out of this world: artists, designers and children creating new territories. Making Do (3). ISSN 1759-8800 Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie (2009) Collecting inspiration: find and search. In: Recharge your design batteries: creative challenges to stretch your imagination. RotoVision, Hove, pp. 68-71. ISBN 9782888930488 Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie (2007) From private picture to imagined happening. In: Symposium on Amateur Photography: Practices and Contexts. The British Sociological Association Annual Conference: Social Connections: Identities, Technologies and Relationships, 14 April 2007, University of East London. (Unpublished) Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie (2006) Handing down the 'memory cloth' at the Elephant & Castle: an exploration into cultural identity and the role of women in craft and design history. [Exhibition/show] Item not available online.
- Beard, Sophie and Waller, Allyson (2004) The readers before us. In: All messed up: unpredictable graphics. Laurence King Publishers, London, pp. 100-101. ISBN 1856693902 Item not available online
Professional Membership, Affiliation and Consultancy
- 2019 External Examiner for MA Illustration & Visual Media, London College of Communication (UAL)
- 2017 External Examiner for BA (Hons) Illustration and Visual Media, London College of Communication (UAL)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Art 
- Member of Graphic Design Educators Network 
- Academic Advisor LCC [UAL] BA Information & Interface Design 
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy 
- UCA Funded Mass Creativity Research Cluster: The Tools that make innovation possible (2009)
- UAL 3 year full-time £30,000 Studentship Award (2005)